BEER · PEOPLE · PURPOSE
We are a former financial analyst, a former consultant, and a former high school teacher turned professional brewer joining forces to open a community-based and philanthropy-focused force for good in the form of a brewery! The seed for such a business was sown in 2007, during the co-founders’ time at the nearby College of William & Mary (over a beer or two at the local craft beer bar, if we’re honest).
In 2010, “We could do it?” became “We should do it!” and research & planning began in earnest. The search for a suitable facility began in 2012, and following more than two years of agonizing near-misses and endless building tours, we finally found our home, less than two miles from the heart of Downtown Williamsburg. 401 Second Street is now the home of The Virginia Beer Company!
None of this would be possible without top-notch beer. Our Brewmaster, Jonathan Newman, joined us from SweetWater Brewing in Atlanta, GA. At The Virginia Beer Company, we will feature sixteen draft selections in the taproom, with at least eight of them rotating on a regular basis. Our plan is for a new beer each week; we want to give our customers a reason to return! Four year-round beers are complemented by a boundary-pushing rotation of limited edition beers including Experimental IPAs, Barrel-Fermented Brett Saisons, and Barrel-Aged Imperial Stouts, among many other diverse styles.
The great variety of products available in the taproom and throughout Southeastern and Central Virginia is made possible by our unique production model: we have essentially built a brewery within a brewery. We have a large-scale, 30-bbl production brewing system in addition to a smaller-scale, 5-bbl pilot system that allows us to promote creativity and experimentation on a regular basis. Two breweries in one building? Apparently we chose the right business when we left our desk jobs behind!
We're now rounded out by an amazing array of full-time and part-time staff along with members of the local community who have helped turn 401 Second Street into the amazing brewery + taproom + beer garden we dreamt of building these many years ago. We look forward to sharing beers & cheers with you!
Cheers From Williamsburg, Virginia!
- Received multiple tourism grants from York County and the Commonwealth of Virginia - visit us!
- Brewed 250+ recipes in our first 2 years on our 30-bbl + 5-bbl pilot brewing systems!
- Collaborated with Aslin, O'Connor, Alewerks, Three Notch'd, Gordon Biersch, SweetWater, Twain's, Stone, and more!
- Named as one of BeerAdvocate's Top 34 new breweries of 2016 in a field of almost 300!
- March 23-25, 2018 - 2-year anniversary of our brewery + taproom + beer garden!
- For Here - Brewing four year round recipes and an array of rotating small batch beers, plus a weekly cask offering.
- Takeaway - 12 oz. cans of Year Round beers, 16 oz. cans of seasonal releases, 750 ml bottles of specialty recipes. Fills & kegs too!
- Check out our Facebook page for more information on beer releases, food trucks, and events!